Tuesday, July 24, 2012

'Replace the Stigma With Compassion' — Elton John at International AIDS Conference

I love Elton John. And I'm so glad he's not dead.

At Telegraph UK, "Elton John tells Aids conference 'I should be dead'":
In his address at the International Aids Conference, Elton John tells the audience "I should be dead" because he didn't take precautions against HIV in the past.
Musician Elton John spoke to a packed audience at the 19th International Aids Conference in Washington, DC on Wednesday and said that because he did not take precautions, he should have contracted HIV years ago.

"Ladies and gentlemen by all rights I shouldn't be here today. I should be dead. Six feet under in a wooden box. I should have contracted HIV in the 1980s and died in the 1990s. Just like Freddie Mercury, just like Rock Hudson, just like so many friends and loved ones of yours and mine," Elton John said.

He also called on people to stop marginalizing people with HIV-Aids during his key note address.
More at that link above.

Thank goodness medical science has developed effective treatments to lessen the effects of the disease.

And I hope those at the conference follow John's model behavior as a gay man: live a stable life, be good to your family and support traditional values, and by all means eschew the radical homosexual politics that alienates so many decent people of good faith.

PREVIOUSLY: "Elton John Admits It's 'Heartbreaking' for Son Zachary to Grow Up Without a 'Mummy'."

0 comments: