Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Dark, Dangerous Side of Marijuana

Very dark. Very dangerous.

It's a bad drug. Bad for you. It does bad things to your mind. And it leaves a trail of bad recriminations for those in the path of abusers.

From Susan Shapiro, at the Los Angeles Times, "Cannabis crazy: It doesn't just describe the move to legalize weed. It could happen to you":
I know the dark side. I'm ambivalent about legalizing marijuana because I was addicted for 27 years. After starting to smoke weed at Bob Dylan concerts when I was 13, I saw how it can make you say and do things that are provocative and perilous. I bought pot in bad neighborhoods at 3 a.m., confronted a dealer for selling me a dime bag of oregano, let shady pushers I barely knew deliver marijuana, like pizza, to my home. I mailed weed to my vacation spots and smoked a cocaine-laced joint a bus driver offered when I was his only passenger.

Back then Willie Nelson songs, Cheech and Chong routines and “Fast Times at Ridgemont High's” Jeff Spicoli made getting high seem kooky and harmless. My reality was closer to Walter White's self-destruction from meth on TV's “Breaking Bad” and the delusional nightmares in the film “Requiem for a Dream.” Everyone believed you couldn't get addicted to pot.

Turns out I could get hooked on carrot sticks. Marijuana became an extreme addiction for me. I'm not alone. Nearly 17% of those who get high as teenagers will become addicted to marijuana, according to the 2013 edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health found that up to half of daily marijuana smokers become addicted — an estimated 2.7 million people in the U.S...
Very dark. Very bad. And of course, the "progressive" left is pushing it, and hard.

Leftists. Destroying American society, any which way they can. It's scary sometimes, man.

0 comments: