Saturday, February 21, 2009

Robert Stacy McCain's Full Metal Blogging

I'm still holding out on switching to the full advertising mode for this blog (although PrivatePigg certainly warmed me up to it a bit), but if folks have contemplated making a living as a blogger, look no further than Robert Stacy McCain for inspiration.

"
The Other McCain" likes folks to call him by his middle name, so go check out "Stacy's" blog for today's lesson on building traffic, "Notes on Rule 4 ("Make Some Enemies"), which is a reference to a key section in his landmark recent post, "How to Get a Million Hits on Your Blog in Less Than a Year."

Jamie Colby

If you read Stacy's stuff regularly, you'll find that nothing's sacred - no issue and no blogger can find a snark-free zone when "Mr. Qwerty-quick" fingertips is on the assignment. Stacy's fair though - perhaps to a fault - as we can see in the decency of his commentary on Andrew Sullivan - a guy who's pretty much gone overboard, but perhaps has enough in the political-capital bank to stay relevant to the left-wing. And be sure to check Stacy's link to this essay at The Nation, where the "excitable one's" identification as "the neoconservative gay pundit" just about made me boogie to the bathroom on a porcelain-hurl run (and don't even get me going about the post-neo pomos at the Extraordinary Gentlemen!)

But read the whole post, in any case, "
How to Get a Million Hits on Your Blog in Less Than a Year, and especially "Rule #5" on "hottie blogging":

* A. Everybody loves a pretty girl -- It's not just guys who enjoy staring at pictures of hotties. If you've ever picked up Cosmo or Glamour, you realize that chicks enjoy looking at pretty girls, too. (NTTAWWT.) Maybe it's the vicious catty she-thinks-she's-all-that factor, or the schadenfreude of watching a human trainwreck like Britney Spears, but no one can argue that celebrity babes generate traffic. Over at Conservative Grapevine, the most popular links are always the bikini pictures. And try as I might to make "logical arguments" for tax cuts, wouldn't you rather watch Michelle Lee Muccio make those arguments?
Now you know why I've got that beautiful picture of Fox News' Jamie Colby up there on top. Coffee and Colby on the weekends is what gets me fired-up for my heavy-duty early-morning writing sessions (I wrote an essay on the Fairness Doctrine this morning for Pajamas, which will probably be available early next week). So, there'll be more women around here, and folks'll have a bit of a respite from the full-bore high-powered neoconservative analysis that's the staple of American Power.

But wait! I'm currently working on Stacy's last directive:

* D. Feminism sucks -- You can never go wrong in the blogosphere by having a laugh at the expense of feminists. All sane people hate feminism, and no one hates feminism more than smart, successful, independent women who've made it on their own without all that idiotic "Sisterhood Is Powerful" groupthink crap.
That's right. I picked up a copy of Andrea Dworkin's Intercourse last night, which includes this for a teaser:

Can a man read Intercourse? ... Can a man read a book written by a woman in which she, the author, has a direct relationship to experience, ideas, literature, life, including fucking, without mediation - such that what she says and how she says it are not determined by boundaries men have set for her? Can a man read a woman's work if it does not say what he already knows? Can a man let in a challenge not just to his dominance but to his cognition? And, specifically, am I saying that I know more than men about fucking? Yes, I am. Not just different: more and better, deeper and wider, the way anyone used knows the user.
And that's just from the preface, so I'll keep readers updated with further installments from Intercourse (but check Cassy Fiano in the meanwhile, who's practiced at smacking-down the Dworkin-types).

In any case, that's all for this installment of the "
Full-Metal Blogging" thing!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you need to do is DUMP BlogSpot, get some hosting and Run Wordpress.

I'm available to get it set up. I won't even charge ya.

I wonder, what's your site numbers on a weekly basis? I might be able to hook you up with some shared hosting for a good price.

Let me know, if you're interested.

Pat
http://www.politicalbyline.com

Anonymous said...

Oh and... Yes, I know you're a Neo-Con. You poor bastard. *snort*

anyhow, I won't hold it against you. In fact, I'm trying to be nice to you idiots, er, um, I mean, people.

;-P

-Pat

AmPowerBlog said...

Paleo Pat: Are you serious? Paleo? Really?

First you spam then you slam? That's a first ...

Anonymous said...

Actually, although I would recommend people run wordpress instead of blogspot (I've run both), you've made this particular domain (americanpowerblog.blogspot.com) quite popular (vis-a-vis other domains) and raised its Alexa rank so high that it seems it would be foolish to move to a brand new domain to "start over" simply for the sake of getting your own domain. If you want to move for functionality reasons, etc. that's a different story.

BTW, if you ever get interested in doing TextLinkAds (that's how I get paid), drop me an email and I'll send you an invite. Full disclosure - I probably get like $15 for inviting someone. Brian at Liberty Pundit helped me out with all of my advertising a few years ago, so he's someone to approach with lots of questions, too.

dave in boca said...

Paleo Pat sounds like Naomi Wolf in drag, who in turn would be Dworkin's [dead now how many years?] daughter if Dworkin ever slept with men!

Anonymous said...

I went to Squarespace after the libtards whined about my blogspot to Google. Screw Google.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure PaleoPat is about as much of a paleo as the gang here is. BTW, he seems to be having a spot of trouble at his own blog and isn't savvy enough to put his url in the comment as a link. Because, of course everyone wants to have to cut and paste it into their browser.

Yeah, he's your man, alright.

And, he gets bonus points for a gravatar from the insipid Day by Day.

Anonymous said...

Suit yourself. At least I offered. Yeesh... The backup Blog is just that, a backup blog, in case other one fails.

Wow, Make a gesture and get your fucking dick cut off.

Wow. You all are amazing.

look at my blog and you tell me, if I know squat or not. and the comment area does not allow links, I've tried.

Ah well. I tried to me nice to people and look what it gets me. My fetal mistake.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Paleo Pat. Please forgive me.

Your profile screams PUMA to me. How do you go from Dem to paleocon, especially, as soon as a Dem is elected prez? Do you enjoy being a member of the party that's out of power? How is it that you differ politically from the neocons? Why do you have the world's unfunniest comic at the top of your blog page? And then take your gravatar from it?

Trolls attacking trolls. Things are boring on a wintry Sunday afternoon. When does spring training start?