Monday, May 18, 2009

Cracked and Bruised Ribs, Bloody Mouth...

Except for perhaps Courtney, Discharge probably isn't the cup of tea for most of my readers. But since I've been writing about my punk experiences, here goes. Check out "State Violence, State Control":

Kept in line with truncheons
rifle butts and truncheons
This is state control, this is state control

State control, state control
This is state control

Beaten up behind closed doors
Cracked and bruised ribs, bloody mouth
Cracked and bruised skull, bloody mouth

The second YouTube hosts the audio from the 45, "State Violence State Control." Be sure to listen to it, especially the guitar solo. I loved it!

The Wikipedia entry for Discharge describes the band's music as "a heavy, distorted, and grinding guitar-driven sound and rawly shouted vocals, with lyrics on anarchist and pacifist themes."

I'd put the emphasis on "raw."

I saw Discharge in concert in Los Angeles in 1982 or '83. Cal (I think), the lead singer, had a six-inch spiked Mohawk at the time. They band was all black leather, fast, and mean.


More later ...

2 comments:

Herbert said...

I can relate to this..

AmPowerBlog said...

Cool Herbert!